Facilitating Engagement Two-Day Workshop
Vancouver: June 19 – 20, 2018
Toronto: November 20 – 21, 2018
This two-day workshop is a frequent request from our iap2 Foundations participants, who ask for this training to further their public participation skills – notably to facilitate their sophisticated engagement designs.
We are excited to announce two public offerings of Facilitating Engagement in 2018: Vancouver, June 19-20 and Toronto, November 20-21. See below for registration info.
This workshop is a very interactive, skill-building opportunity that helps P2 practitioners build and strengthen their facilitation skills, in order to ensure effective community and stakeholder engagements.
Why is the course important?
Many individuals who are responsible for planning and implementing engagements on behalf of their organizations are asked to facilitate them as well. Facilitation skills, however, are very different from engagement planning and design skills – and they are absolutely critical to the success of engagement initiatives.
What will I learn?
This workshop deals with the challenges of being the decision-maker and facilitator. Topics include:
- Understanding the conflicting roles of being decision-maker (content expert) and facilitator (process expert)
- Establishing process authority, in order to get things done
- Planning for success (setting objectives and developing detailed agendas)
- Building rapport and creating a positive space for understanding and collaboration
- Defining, anticipating and managing perceptual risk, conflict, and even outrage
- Managing the process for collaboration and decision-making
- Using strategies to deal with difficult situations and high emotions
- Understanding and using group dynamics as a facilitation tool
- Supporting deliberation and consensus building
- Adding to your facilitator’s toolkit several facilitation techniques you can adapt, or improvise, to suit your situation
- Managing engagement projects (mapping the decision, identifying opportunities and risks, and managing the work)
- Being a reflective practitioner and developing strategies for continuous growth
What does it cost?
The tuition fee for this course is $675 +GST or HST (depending on the province where the workshop is delivered). All course materials are provided, including a course manual and morning “Coffee with Colleagues”.
What participants say about our Facilitating Engagement course…
Excellent workshop providing practical tools that can be immediately integrated in your engagement needs.
This has been the most valuable C.E. course I have taken in my career to date. The facilitation was authentic and a gold standard to strive to in my own practice, and the tangible take-aways from this workshop are what really sets it apart. I look forward to opportunities to participate in future Delaney + Associates (training).
The course content and tools were very helpful in developing a process for group work. The facilitators were amazing at keeping us engaged and on time.
Thanks again. Perfect complement to the iap2 Foundations course. Was a pleasure learning from you. Merci.
This course was a useful tool to enhance my facilitator skills when leading project teams. I left this course feeling empowered and more confident in leading groups toward meaningful decision-making.
Extremely knowledgeable presenter, greatly appreciated the personal stories. Provided excellent opportunities for practicing facilitation. Appreciated the open dialogue about what those practicing could do well.
Very powerful and useful! Already put some strategies in action.
Facilitation is certainly an art. I am very grateful to have attended this session. It has given me tools for my toolbox and confidence in my ability to work with my staff effectively. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.
How to Register
1. Open the registration form below
2. Save the form to your computer and fill it out
3. Scan or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org