The IAP2 Way Fundamentals of P2
The focus of this course is on understanding and applying the practices of meaningful and effective P2 (public participation). The training explores principles, concepts and best practices, and how to design and apply this knowledge to your P2/engagement work.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Define P2/engagement and related terms and what makes it unique
- Identify what makes P2/engagement meaningful
- Reflect on the benefits, risks and myths related to P2/engagement
- Identify and discuss IAP2 five core foundations in their application to P2/engagement work
- Identify the role that values (seven core values) play in P2/engagement work and the leadership attributes that will serve them as they practice
- Understand the IAP2 Spectrum of Public Participation and rationale for the increasing intensity as decision impacts
- Reflect on and apply ethical leadership actions and abilities to P2/engagement situations
- Apply the Profiles of P2/engagement model to P2/engagement and explore organization-led and community-led engagement and how that impacts the engagement process
- Reflect on and apply the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion and explore the role of power and influence and its impacts on the approach to P2/engagement
- Apply the IAP2 spectrum to P2/engagement situations and practice
- Explore the Practice Framework (design, plan, implement, learn) as a tool for effective planning and process, and assess the quality of the process
- New practitioners beginning their journey in P2/engagement
- Anyone working in the field or a related field who wants to understand and apply the fundamentals of meaningful and effective P2/engagement practice
- Anyone planning to take additional IAP2 training as this is a prerequisite course for entry into the Global Learning Pathway or to pursue CP3 (certification) with IAP2 Canada.
This is a six-hour, trainer-led Delaney Virtual Academy. Zoom and Google Suites (digital workbook used for exercises and provided at completion) are used, in addition to other applications, to make this a highly interactive and skills-based session. There are three, two-hour sessions over three consecutive days. Each daily session runs 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time; 12:30 – 2:30 p.m. Eastern Time.
There is no prerequisite.
$395.00 + applicable tax
- The IAP2 Way Fundamentals of P2/Engagement Schedule – 2023
- SOLD OUT – February 21 – 23 (Tuesday – Thursday) – three, two-hour sessions
9:30am – 11:30am PT/12:30pm – 2:30pm ET
- March 7 – 9 (Tuesday – Thursday) – three, two-hour sessions
9:30am – 11:30am PT/12:30pm – 2:30pm ET
- April 18, 19 and 20 – 9:30 – 11:30 am PT / 12:30 – 2:30 pm ET
- May 23, 24, and 25 – 9:30 – 11:30 am PT / 12:30 – 2:30 pm ET
Our Participants Say…
My master class – authentic, thoughtful, fun and well-paced – this was a great use of my time. My communications and engagement tool kit runneth over!
Excellent, informative sessions that really hone in methods and strategies for improving engagement, managing risks and improving your ability to communicate with your audience overall.
This course has given me the foundation to build more meaningful and valuable communication products to support future engagement projects.
This course sets a solid foundation for building out a communications plan that will lead to successful engagement – a must for any organization committed to meaningful and authentic engagement with their communities.
Jessica created a supportive environment for the group to look at how we communicate. I appreciated the open conversation. Words have always held value for me and being able to take a critical (but kind!) look at where I might be able to improve was so helpful.
This workshop was fantastic. I considered myself to be an effective communicator, knowledgeable about how to meaningfully engage. This workshop helped me realize I have much more to learn. I now have new ideas about how to more fully integrate patients’ and families’ lives experiences into our planning and decision-making.