Upcoming iap2 Courses – Including Our Virtual Academies for Planning and Techniques!
Thousands of public participation practitioners have completed the iap2 Foundations in Effective Public Participation program (Planning and Techniques courses) – many thousands of these with Delaney, since we began delivery of the Foundations program in 2007. We began trainer-led online delivery of the Foundations program – as Delaney Virtual Academies – in June 2020, to meet the challenges of training in the COVID-19 environment. We have not looked back! We’ve delivered 20+ online iap2 courses to 350+ participants! It’s been quite the journey as we transitioned from in-person to online training.
Our virtual academies and friendly pricing offer great accessibility to engagement practitioners wanting to complete the Foundations program – the gold standard for engagement training and THE program for people who want to bring their engagement work to a new level. If you are interested in an intensive, interactive skills-driven and results-oriented learning experience, this is the program for you.
Check out our public schedule for 2021. We are pleased to offer our Planning for Effective Public Participation Virtual Academy in two formats – both at a “don’t let this slip by you” price of $1095 + tax. Our Techniques for Effective Public Participation Virtual Academy is offered at a great price of $795 + tax. We are happy to pass on our online savings to our participants!
Based on feedback from our recent engagement with hundreds of D+A alumni, we are pleased to offer the online Planning course in two formats:
Express Academy – 16 hours completed over four consecutive days (Monday – Thursday)
Extended Academy – 16 hours completed over eight days (two weeks/Monday – Thursday)
We are pleased to offer the online Techniques course in the following format:
Express Academy – 12 hours completed over four consecutive days (Monday – Thursday)
Our Academies include a one-hour mandatory technology coaching session before the course start date.
Completion of the Foundations program is currently a pre-requisite for iap2 Canada’s certification, Certified Public Participation Professional (CP3). To learn more about Jessica’s experience click here or click here to learn more about the CP3 program.
Please see the schedule below and click here for the:
We are limiting our online courses to 20 participants to ensure the same high-quality, fast-paced and interactive sessions for which Delaney is known and have a course minimum of eight participants.
What’s included? AKA the Delaney Difference
Right from the start, we committed to do everything we could to make our virtual training as valuable, interactive and motivational as our in-person training.
Here are the top six things – unique to Delaney – our participants are loving:
- Learn from Canada’s highly-rated iap2 trainers and engagement practitioners – Richard Delaney and Jessica Delaney – priceless!
- Get real-time technology and facilitation support during your Virtual Academy, from a Delaney producer. You can focus on the learning!
- A hard-copy student manual. If you register at least two weeks in advance, you likely will have your manual (and Delaney treats) before the course begins. We will provide a PDF student manual for late registrants (while you wait your hard-copy manual) and for those who choose a digital manual.
- Delaney’s own learning management system for added value and self-directed learning. Watch the intro video at the bottom of this section to learn more.
- A virtual classroom that opens early and closes late. Bring your coffee!
- Follow-up coaching, templates and newsletters
What are participants saying?
“The Delaney iap2 Planning course used engaging tactics to make the online, virtual course interactive and fun all while delivering important and useful information. I will definitely use this training in my work.”
Communications and Engagement Advisor, Vaughan, Virtual Academy, June 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“I would recommend this course to anyone. Jessica and her team sets the stage and empowers you on how to effectively engage and facilitate public participation.”
Communications Specialist, Chatham, Virtual Academy, June 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“Such a great learning experience! I look forward to bringing back everything I learned to my workplace.”
Administrative Assistant, Public Engagement, Eugene, Virtual Academy, June 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“I cannot even express the value in the iap2 Planning course. Engaging, invigorating, and inspiring (even in the online format!) I would recommend that anyone who wants to facilitate good public Engagement take this course!”
Communications Specialist, Oak Bay, Virtual Academy, May 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“Very well laid out and very well paced. The course provided a strong base for my P2 career.”
Engage Analyst, Calgary, Virtual Academy, May 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“Definitely a must take course for those looking to engage and be inspired by the vast knowledge, opinions, and needs of our community members.”
Senior Advisor, St. Albert, Virtual Academy, April 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“The Foundations course has provided a road map for our organization’s public engagement needs going forward.”
Participant, North Vancouver, Virtual Academy, April 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“This was a highly engaging course that was incredibly practical. My tool kit has depth and breadth and I can’t wait to put what I have learned into practice.”
Executive Director, Edmonton, Virtual Academy, April 2021, iap2 Techniques Course
“An eye-opener to not only how to prepare, plan, approach and implement engagement with all due respect and consideration to your audience, but equally important, how NOT to!! IAP2 provided tools and frameworks for meaningful engagement that will change the way we conduct ourselves in our work to achieve meaningful engagement.”
Community Investment Coordinator, Alaska, Virtual Academy, February 2021, iap2 Planning Course
“Delaney IAP2 training would be an asset for anyone working in project delivery!”
Project Manager, Victoria, Virtual Academy, December 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“The course was an excellent opportunity to learn in depth tools in public participation. I feel strongly I will make use of the content I learned in this course in my workplace.”
Operations Manager, Whistler, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
“A well laid out course that provides the learner with an excellent introduction to foundations of effective public participation planning, execution, and follow-up. This course and material will help me with future public engagement planning and has helped me to understand effective fundamentals.”
Senior species at Risk Biologist, Winnipeg, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“Delaney’s iap2 training program provides excellent theoretical frameworks, supplemented by engaging workshops, for practical use in engagement.”
Student, Vancouver, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“Very useful course on the techniques for public engagement. Most important was the identification of pros and cons of each technique and where and when you would consider using them, given your needs. Very practical and useful information that I can take back to my team and incorporate.”
Species at Risk Biologist, Winnipeg, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
“Lots of very good activities that I can use in my own engagements.”
Provincial Liaison and Partnership Coordinator, Winnipeg, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
“Really enjoyed and learned a lot of useful techniques and tools from this course.”
Communications and Engagement Specialist, Kelowna, Virtual Academy, November 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
“I would highly recommend Delaney IAP2 training to anyone interested in stakeholder engagement. It was very intensive and value added.”
Communications Manager, Town of White City, Virtual Academy, October 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“Delaney had a depth of knowledge and project experience that thoroughly enriched the learning experience.”
Environmental Planner, Markham, Virtual Academy, October 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
“The IAP2 process is an invaluable resource to have at your fingertips and the facilitators were really able to bring it to life with their experience and enthusiasm.”
Policy Analyst, Vancouver, Virtual Academy, September 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“This course took my understanding of engagement from basic to advanced.”
Peer Lead, Kelowna, Virtual Academy, September 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“The Delaney iap2 Virtual Academy – Planning provided a fresh and modern approach to planning for initiatives that left me feeling prepared and excited to lead initiatives within my organization.”
Quality, Patient Safety and Patient Relations Specialist, Niagara Region, Virtual Academy, September 2020, iap2 Planning Course
“An engaging course that builds your foundation to think strategically and what techniques you might find or look to build in your toolbox. Thanks Richard and Brittany, this was fantastic!”
Social Economic Analyst, Vancouver, Virtual Academy, September 2020, iap2 Techniques Course
Virtual Academies for iap2 Planning for Effective Public Participation
- Two, two-hour sessions each day, one morning and one afternoon
- Reading and assignments in between sessions
- Session 1: 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time
- Session 2: 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Pacific Time
|Planning Express Academy – Virtual Delivery – 16 hours completed over four consecutive days (Monday – Thursday)|
|October 18 – 21, 2021|
|February 22 – 25, 2022|
- One two-hour session each day, in the morning
- Reading and assignments in between sessions
- Sessions will be daily from 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Pacific Time
- Week 1 and 2 will have sessions Monday through to Thursday
|Planning Extended Academy – Virtual Delivery – 16 hours completed over eight days (two weeks/Monday – Thursday)|
|November 15 – 18 and November 22 – 25, 2021|
|January 17 – 20 and 24 – 27, 2022|
Virtual Academies for iap2 Techniques for Effective Public Participation
- A three-hour trainer-led session Monday to Thursday, for one week
- Self-directed online assignments in between sessions
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Pacific Time (a break is provided)
|Techniques Express Academy – Virtual Delivery – 12 hours completed over four days (Monday – Thursday)|
|October 25 – 28, 2021|
|November 29 – December 2, 2021|
|March 28 – 31, 2022|
About our iap2 Training
Delaney is highly regarded for its International Association for Public Participation (iap2) training. Why?
We are Canada’s longest-standing engagement company, serving government, industry and non-governmental organizations since 1996. Engagement – and engagement training – is all that we do. From new hospitals, to sustainable housing, to transportation corridors, to official community plans, we are there engaging communities and working with decision makers. Several of our clients have won international recognition from iap2 for the quality of the work we have undertaken with them.
Our trainers – Richard Delaney, Delaney President, and Jessica Delaney, Delaney Principal Engagement and Communications – are seasoned engagement practitioners working in our strength sectors – municipal government, health, sustainable housing and social policy.
What makes them great trainers? Well, you can’t teach what you don’t know, and they know their stuff! They bring iap2 principles and theory to life with their own “lived experience” stories that speak the truth about the challenges and opportunities of engaging communities. Richard and Jessica are skilled at creating a safe space for participants to share their stories, too.
Our participants regularly give perfect evaluation scores for Delaney trainers’ ability to “draw on the wisdom of the group”.
What does this mean for you, the professional adult learner? An unparalleled training experience where you learn from the trainers, the course material and your co-participants alike.
Based on what is widely recognized as the international gold standard in engagement planning – a rigorous, five-step planning process – the iap2 Foundations program is must-have training for practitioners and novices alike, and the entry prerequisite for anyone interested in becoming a Public Participation Professional (professional certification – CP3). It consists of two modules – Planning for Effective Public Participation and Techniques for Effective Public Participation.
Take the prerequisite Planning for Effective Public Participation module on its own and follow up with Techniques for Effective Public Participation module at a later time, or take the two modules as back-to-back training. Either way, this training provides opportunities for immediate and practical application and help you bring your engagements to life.
We are very excited to announce the release of our Delaney iap2 Foundations Virtual Academies. Take your learning online, with participant-friendly rates and options. Our virtual academies are as intense and interactive as our in-person sessions! Dates for our iap2 Planning and Techniques Virtual Academies can be found at https://www.rmdelaney.com/training/upcoming-iap2-courses/#top We are also offering the iap2 Public Participation for Decision Makers as a Virtual Academy. https://www.rmdelaney.com/training/iap2-decision-makers/
We typically offer the iap2 five-day Foundations in Effective Public Participation program several times a year, in Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Toronto, and other Canadian cities; however, our in-person training calendar is currently on hold due to COVID-19. We are building our 2021 in-person calendar, with hope and anticipation!
Organizational (in-house) Virtual Academies and in-person programs for all iap2 courses are also available and are in high demand.
Why take the iap2 Foundations Program?
- Participate in a skill-development, interactive and practitioner-endorsed training program that is the international gold standard for planning effective public participation
- The Foundations Program (Planning for Effective Public Participation and Techniques for Effective Public Participation) is mandatory training for engagement practitioners wanting to pursue their professional designation – Certified Public Participation Professional (CP3).
- Receive an internationally-recognized certificate of completion that is in demand by employers and quickly becoming a mandatory requirement for consultants working for government.
Why Delaney, the engagement people?
- Learn from our experienced and talented trainers who have delivered 110+ Foundations courses (including the former Certificate course). They pride themselves on creating a dynamic and positive learning environment, in which to share their 40+ years of P2 experience and draw upon the broad experience of the group.
- Learn from Jessica Delaney, Delaney Principal Engagement and Communications – one of only a handful of Certified Public Participation Professionals (CP3) in Canada, and the very first Canadian (December 2017) iap2-licenced trainer to become a CP3! Smart, funny and on the move, she’ll keep you engaged!
- Learn from Richard Delaney, Delaney President and Principal of Collaborative Decision Making. Also smart, funny and a ground-breaking engagement pioneer.
- Richard co-led the review and revision (2012 – 2014) of iap2’s flagship training product, the Certificate in Public Participation – now called Foundations in Public Participation. He was the only Canadian to sit on this international working group (Innovation Project).
- We have a dedicated training team to support our trainers – providing first-class, friendly customer service every step of the way.
- Delaney is committed to building engagement capacity in Canada and beyond. We offer training discounts to students, recent graduates and not-for-profits, along with complimentary follow-up coaching. Our alumni of +3000 participants keeps growing!
Who should take the course?
- Relative beginners currently working in the field of community and stakeholder engagement and graduate students interested in a career in the field
- Seasoned professionals interested in refreshing their understanding of public participation and strengthening their planning and techniques skills
- Individuals in any level of government, the private sector, or a not-for-profit organization, with leadership and/or oversight responsibilities for community engagement activities
- Practitioners facing the challenges of conducting engagements in a COVID-19 world and looking for fresh ideas and “keep it real” support
What will I learn?
- Use industry-standard tools and principles to design and plan public participation initiatives
- Activate the iap2 spectrum and planning protocol
- Focus on objective-driven engagement design
- How to select and implement techniques in virtual and in-person settings
- How to develop a public participation plan for effective P2 – priceless!
- Communications for effective and authentic public participation
- Appropriate evaluation tools to measure the effectiveness of P2 programs
- Your questions answered here!
The online format for the course exceeded my expectations. Richard was an engaging teacher and I’d definitely recommend this course.
Communications and Community Engagement Specialist, Guelph
Virtual Academy, July 2020, iap2 Planning Course
Jessica is an enthusiastic and motivated public participation professional. Her experience and stories are as relevant and valuable as the iap2 educational material.
Project Manager, Transportation Engineer, Kelowna
Kelowna, September 2019, iap2 Foundations Course